You hear about how healthy bananas are all the time, but did you know that the peel also packs a healthy wallop?
We thought banana peels were good for two things: protecting bananas and serving as comedic props. That was until we heard that not only is it safe to eat banana peels; it’s also advisable.
Why is this a thing? In addition to potassium, which helps balance electrolytes and grow cells, banana peels are a great source of magnesium (for a healthy heart and strong immune system), fiber (for colon health) and vitamins B12 and B6 (for metabolism and strong cells).
But what do they taste like? Depends on how ripe they are. Unripe banana peels are thick, fibrous and bitter. As they ripen, the skin thins out and gets sweeter, making them prime for consumption.
OK, but how do I eat them? First, make sure to buy organic, since they haven’t been treated with pesticides. From there, blend them into smoothies or brew banana tea, which works as a sleep aid thanks to the banana’s tryptophan.
And you’re sure people do this? Absolutely. Turns out a lot of the world (especially Asian and Indian cultures) has been eating banana peels for years. While it’s not necessary that you make use of the entire banana, the peel is a great source of additional vitamins and nutrients.
1. Great for Depression – Did you know that ripe Banana Peels are great for depression? Banana Peels are packed full of serotonin which boost your mood and help you feel happy, just like prozac and lots of other mood enhancing drugs… according to a study at the University of Taiwan. Studies show that if you eat two Banana Peels a day for three days you have a net increase of 15% in your serotonin level – Wow!
2. Sleep Better – At the same time Banana Peels are full of lots of tryptophan that help you get a good nights rest.
3. Lower Cholesterol – And Banana Peels have more soluble and insoluble fiber than what you find in the banana it self, that means Banana Peels lower your cholesterol… thus helping to prevent cardiovascular disease, strokes, and cancer.
In fact there are been some people who have started the process of eating Banana Peels daily and thus lowered their LDL or bad cholesterol, and total cholesterol all the way back to normal, and they also detoxed their body at the same time… and found their mood greatly enhanced.
4. Cardiovascular Health – And Banana Peels can help eliminate atherosclerosis from your body by preventing cholesterol from sticking to the walls of your arteries.
5. Weight Loss and Obesity – And because Banana Peels are full of fiber they also fill you up and thus can help with weight loss and obesity.
6. Create Probiotics and Detox – And because you have lots of fiber you create a wonderful place for probiotic bacteria or good bacteria to grow in your colon and thus boost your immune system. Plus it helps get rid of constipation and thus also helps detox the body and create a better immune system.
7. Anticancer Agents – Banana Peels contain powerful anti-carcinogenic compounds that help to prevent cancer. And they also contain cytoprotective agents and antimutagenic agents that reduce your chances of coming down with cancer. At the same time have lots of carotenoids and polyphenols like that found in green tea that help to keep your immune system healthy.
8. Red Blood Cell Protective Agent – Research also found that Banana Peels also protects red blood cells from breaking down. And they also found that green Banana Peels were even more effective at protecting the body from free radicals.
9. Antioxidants and Nutrients – Also Banana Peels are high in potassium, so if you need more potassium, and perhaps are taking potassium in some form… why not switch to Banana Peels. Banana Peels also contain lots of antioxidants that help to prevent cardiovascular disease and caner… and thus they boost your immune system and help prevent disease. They also contain B vitamins for great health and vitality, magnesium for detoxing and regulating blood sugar, and potassium which is very important for cardiovascular health and water regulation, plus can help lower blood pressure.
10. Great Eye Health and Antibiotic – Banana Peels contain lots of lutein which is important for night vision, preventing macular degeneration and helping to prevent cataracts. And Banana Peels are full of great anti-fungal compounds, and antibiotic agents that bring about good health.
11. Skin Health and Anti-Inflammatory Agent – Banana Peels are also a good anti-inflammatory agent that helps to sooth away all kinds of inflammatory processes. And they also help with warts, psoriasis, itching, insect bites, rashes, poison oak and ivy, wrinkles, and help to create great looking skin.
Taking a Banana Peel and putting in on a plantar wart for 30 days every night, will make it turn black and fall off (yellow part of the skin towards the wart)… the skin contains salicylic acid that facilitates wart removal… much nicer than having warts burned off.
Banana Peels have also been used for bone spurs, putting Banana Peel on just before going to bed and wrapping it in place very night… a couple weeks later the pain disappears.