We all know that frostbite is the reason why you wear gloves outdoors and try to avoid the cold like the plague. Your mom warned you about it when you were a kid, and that’s why she insisted on you always wearing multiple layers. As it turns out, mom was completely right to make you wear those thick gloves and long johns. If you don’t want to experience the horrific nature of frostbite, you definitely need to bundle up, and bundle up good.
This Australian girl apparently didn’t heed her mother’s wisdom. During her recent trip to Canada, she got a bit too drunk, passed out outside, and woke up with some pretty extreme frostbite. (Un)fortunately, she documented her entire experience with these photos.
Emma Quirk was out at a bar in Canada when she stepped outside for a cigarette. He friends say that the last time they saw her was at 2:30 in the morning.
She said she had no phone, money, and no idea where she was when she started wandering around while she was blackout drunk.
She was found around 5:30 in the morning outside of a nursing home, passed out in the -30°C weather.
The next thing Quirk remembers is waking up in a hospital with a nurse telling her that she is lucky to be able to keep her hands.
Frostbite is localized damage to the skin from freezing conditions. It is caused when the blood flow constricts and moves away from exposed areas in an effort to preserve core body temperature.
Quirk’s damage was between 3rd and 4th degree frostbite.
Quirk’s fingers swelled into massive puss-filled orange blisters, which were eventually deflated by the specialist, leading to instant relief. Since visiting the specialist, she notes that the scarring is barely visible and considers herself lucky to be able to keep all of her fingers.
I don’t know about you guys, but I had a pretty rough time looking at that. I’m just going to take all of my mother’s advice from now on. It doesn’t matter what it’s about. Just across the board, mom is always right.