The common procedure for improving double chin is chin liposuction. Chin liposuction aims to emphasize the line of the lower jaw. However one of the complications of chin liposuction is a rake like scar, especially noted when the person tips his/her head back. So before you spend money on this expensive and drastic procedure, you can try to do double chin exercises that can also be effective in emphasizing your lower jaw and chin.
What are the reasons for a double chin?
There are several factors that can contribute to the formation of double chin. It is mostly because of too much weight gain and inactive lifestyle, but also as we get older, the skin loses its elasticity which leads to skin sagging. Also muscles that are not used frequently lose their tone, including the platysma muscle that runs down from your jaw along your neck. In addition, losing a large amount of weight can create loose skin around the neck area (there are natural ways to tighten skin after weight loss).
The daily double chin exercises help tighten, tone and build up the platysma muscle, as well as other muscles around the area. After doing these exercises for a while, you will build up these muscles, and you will need less time to maintain it, as it’s easier to maintain a muscle than to build it.
Double chin exercises
Here are some exercises that will help you to get rid of double chin. Remember that you need to do them on a regular basis for the best results.
1. Open your mouth – One effective exercise is to open your mouth as wide as you can and stick your tongue out as far as you can, trying to touch your chin with your tongue. Hold for 10 counts and repeat 10 times. When you do this exercise, you will feel that your chin and neck muscles are tightening.
2. Hanging head – lie on a bed or sofa with your head hanging over the edge. Lift your chin towards your chest. Hold the contraction for 10 counts and then slowly lower your head to the starting position. Repeat 10 times then relax.
3. Chin lifts – this exercise helps to strengthen and tighten the muscles in your face and neck. Stand with your back and neck straight. Raise your chin toward the ceiling and purse your lips in an exaggerated kissing position and hold for a count of 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
4. Roll your neck – Stand with your spine upright. Turn your head to the side so that your chin is parallel to your shoulder. Your eyes should be looking off to the side, too. Slowly roll your head downward, then up to the other side. Repeat 10 times.
5. Platysma exercise – this exercise works on the muscle that runs down from your jaw along your neck and is called platysma. Stand with your neck erect. Tighten the tendons in your jaw by pulling your lips up over your teeth and turning the corners of your mouth downward, almost as if you were frowning. Hold for 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat the exercise 10 times.
6. The tennis ball exercise – Place a tennis ball against your throat and hold it there with your chin. Press your chin against the ball tightly, then slightly release. Repeat 10 times.
In addition to doing the above exercises you should also consider losing weight (if you are overweight). When a person is fat, there is accumulation of fat everywhere on the body and hence, as a result occurs a double chin. Double chin exercises will have the best result when coupled with diet. If you are interested in losing weight, you should also read my past articles on that subject that will help you: you can start by reading my article on how to lose weight without diet as well as how to increase your metabolism.