Sleep is important because it keeps your good health and lets the brain eliminate toxins. Anyway, spending too much time in bed can negatively affect your health too, just like lack of sleep.
It is recommended that most adults should sleep for 7-9 hours a night, but this is not sufficient for all ages. For example, children under 18 need more sleep.
The following sleep recommendations are issued by the National Sleep Foundation. The recommendations are based on different studies with scientists in sleep, anatomy, physiology, pediatrics, neurology, gerontology, and gynecology.
Depression can influence sleep by either insomnia or oversleeping. 15% of people suffering from depression sleep too much. This can negatively affect your mental health and make the recovery much more difficult.
Headaches can be caused by chronic oversleeping. Moreover, it can cause damage to certain neurotransmitters, such as serotonin. This can cause the person suffer from poor sleep quality overnight and headaches during the day.
Too little or too much sleep can lower your body’s ability to produce glucose, which may lead to insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes.
Our heart needs exercise and rest to stay healthy and to function properly. But, sleeping too much can be dangerous. People sleeping 9-11 hours a night are more likely to develop coronary heart disease in comparison to those people who sleep 8 hours a night.
This is not completely examined, but people who get 9 or more hours of sleep a night are more likely to die from a medical condition than people who get 7-9 hours of sleep.
How to overcome excessive sleeping?
1. Prepare a strict sleep schedule that works for your lifestyle. Unplug all electronic devices about an hour before going to bed, practice yoga or meditation, and prepare time-sensitive activities to aid you get up easily in the mornings.
2. Take a cold shower when you feel sleepy. Turning on the heat later will only make you sleepier.
3. Exercise after waking up to clear your kind and improve energy levels.
4. Consume a tall glass of warm water in the morning to stay hydrated during the day. Do this whenever you feel sleepy and boost your energy.
5. Choose an interesting activity and keep doing it. This way you will stay motivated and you will avoid using sleep in order to escape from your daily life.