Trouble is, apples (and pears) oxidize and turn brown quickly after they’re sliced and exposed to air. Even though they still taste good, they’re just not very appealing that way. No matter how fresh, once an apple is sliced and oxygen hits the flesh, it starts to oxidize, or turn brown.
Monica over at TheYummyLife has a good tutorial and steps to keeping those apples and pears cut and ready to eat without browning.
How to keep apple and pear slices from browning.
Soak them in one of these solutions for 5 minutes. Citric acid is the key ingredient in most of these, because it helps prevent oxidization (browning).
1. Soak them in a bowl of cold lemon water. This is better than squeezing the lemon juice directly on the fruit, unless you don’t mind the fruit tasting really lemony. Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 1 cup of water.
2. Soak them in a bowl of cold salt water. Not too much salt, or it affects the taste of the fruit. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt per 1 quart (4 cups) of water.
3. Soak them in a bowl of Sprite, 7-Up, or a similar lemon-lime, carbonated soda. (Note: Most soft drinks contains artificial ingredients and high-fructose corn syrup, so this isn’t the healthiest option…but it works.)
4. Soak them in a bowl with Fruit-Fresh (or citric acid powder) and cold water. Fruit Fresh is sold in stores with canning supplies. Use 1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh per 1 cup of water.
UPDATE: SUGGESTIONS FROM READERS.
Since writing this post, a number of Yummy Life readers have shared more suggestions.
Soak them in a bowl of cold water mixed with a crushed chewable Vitamin C tablet. I used 1 crushed tablet per 1 cup of water. (suggested by FC)
Soak them in a bowl of apple cider and lemon juice. I like this idea, because the apple cider enhances the apple flavor while balancing/diluting the lemon juice. Use 1/2 cup apple cider per 1/4 cup lemon juice. (suggested by Julie B)
Soak them in pineapple juice or a combo of pineapple and lemon juice. I used 1 tablespoon lemon juice per cup of pineapple juice. (suggested by Karen)
Soak them in plain carbonated water.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- 5 Proven Tips To Prevent Your Lips From Darkening - August 2016
- Try the Cucumber Diet and Lose 7kg in 14 Days - August 2016
- You Have Lost Part of Your Hair? Here is How to Grow Out Your Hair Faster - August 2016