It is a fact the commercial hand sanitizers are chemically-scented and made with toxic ingredients. While they do kill bacteria and viruses, these chemicals also seep into the pores of the skin and are absorbed into the bloodstream. The primary active ingredients in these sanitizers are Ethyl alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol. Ethyl alcohol is also know as ethanol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol and drinking alcohol. This is what kills the germs. Ethyl alcohol is used in some cosmetics to enhance the absorption of other ingredients, which means that anything mixed with it will move through the skin and into the bloodstream more easily. There have been many reports of children licking their hands after applying these hand sanitizers and actually getting drunk! Isopropyl alcohol is a petrochemical and numerous tests have shown it to be a neurotoxin, meaning toxic to the nervous system! It might be a good idea to stay away from these commercial hand sanitizers, especially on the sensitive skin of your little ones.
Any parent knows that schools are breeding grounds for viruses and bacteria. If you are not a fan of commercial hand sanitizers, here are two recipes that are very easy to make at home. The first one is more like the gel type of hand sanitizer and the other one is a spray. They both work great, it just depends on your preference.
Both of these hand sanitizer recipes are nice to have on hand because they act as both a hand sanitizer and a natural antiseptic. Each ingredient has many purposes in these recipes besides cleaning your hands. The tea tree and lavender essential oils help to fight germs with their anti-bacterial properties. The Witch Hazel is a natural germ killer among other things and the Aloe Vera Gel is so healing to the skin that it has been used by many cultures around the world for thousands of years. Vitamin E oil helps heal the skin while serving as a product preservative.
Gel hand sanitizer recipe
You will need a squeezable bottle for this recipe.
- 1 Tablespoon witch hazel
- 8 ounces 100% pure aloe vera gel
- 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Mix together the essential oils and the vitamin E in the squeezable bottle.
- Add the witch hazel and mix.
- Add the aloe vera gel and mix.
- Shake well before use.
Spray hand sanitizer recipe
For this recipe you will need a 4 oz. glass spray bottle. This is a great spray to have handy as it is a natural antiseptic spray too.
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure aloe vera gel ( you can also use vegetable glycerin)
- 8 drops vitamin E oil
- 5 drops of essential oils (lavender, tea tree, lemon, orange, etc.)
- Clean water
- Combine the witch hazel, aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil and essential oils.
- Pour into a small spray bottle.
- Add enough clean water to fill the bottle.
- Shake well and apply as necessary.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- 5 Proven Tips To Prevent Your Lips From Darkening - August 2016
- Try the Cucumber Diet and Lose 7kg in 14 Days - August 2016
- You Have Lost Part of Your Hair? Here is How to Grow Out Your Hair Faster - August 2016