Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are a very common health problem. While both men and women get UTIs, women are more prone to them.
A UTI occurs when the bladder and its exit tubes are infected by bacteria. Some of the causes are sexual intercourse, waiting too long to urinate, pregnancy, menopause, and diabetes.
Common symptoms include a frequent urge to urinate, passing small quantities of urine, a burning sensation when urinating, change in urine color, abdominal pain, fever, nausea, and vomiting.
Immediate treatment is necessary so that the infection does not cause damage to the kidneys. In addition to the conventional treatment, many natural remedies can help prevent and treat UTIs.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for urinary tract infections.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a rich source of enzymes, potassium and other useful minerals that can prevent the bacteria that cause UTIs from multiplying or growing. Those suffering from UTIs can use apple cider vinegar as a natural antibiotic to treat the infection.
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. You can also add lemon juice and sweeten with honey. Mix it well.
- Drink this two times a day for a few days.
2. Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Indian Gooseberry is rich in vitamin C which in turn inhibits the growth of bacteria.
- Take a cup of water.
- Add one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry (amla) powder and one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Boil the solution until half the water evaporates.
- Drink the residue three times a day for three to five days.
You can also eat more fruits like lemons, oranges, bananas, guava, kiwi, melon, raspberries, tomatoes, and papaya that contain a good amount of vitamin C.
3. Cranberry Juice
Certain compounds like proanthocyanidins found in cranberries prevent bacteria from reaching the walls of the urethra and causing UTIs. Cranberry juice also has a very mild antibiotic affect.
- Drinking half a glass of cranberry juice daily is one of the easiest ways to prevent urinary tract infections.
- Those suffering from a UTI should drink about three to four glasses of cranberry juice daily to prevent the infection from causing damage to the kidneys.
You must drink unsweetened cranberry juice. You can mix it with apple juice to enhance the taste.
Warning: Do not take cranberry juice if you have a history of kidney stones.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda will raise the acid-base balance of acidic urine and give you relief from the pain. Neutralizing the acidity in the urine also will help speed up recovery. Simply add one teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it once or twice a day.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties to help fight the bacteria that cause bladder infections like UTIs.
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil in your bath water and use this water to wash the urethra opening.
- Alternatively, you can mix tea tree oil with equal amounts of juniper oil and sandalwood oil and rub this mixture on the abdominal region and on the area near the bladder. This is very effective in reducing pain associated with UTIs. Follow this remedy once daily for three to four days.
- Another simple way to treat UTI is to soak in warm bath water mixed with two teaspoons of plain yogurt and six drops of tea tree oil. Do this daily for 10 minutes for about 10 days.
Blueberries have bacteria-inhibiting properties that can help in the treatment of UTIs. The antioxidants present in blueberries are good for the immune system, and they prevent growth of bacteria that causes UTIs.
- You can add some fresh blueberries to your favorite cereal and have it for breakfast.
- You can also make fresh blueberry juice and have it daily, in the morning and at night for quick results. Do not add any artificial sweetener to the juice.
Including fresh blueberries or juice in your daily diet is a good way to prevent UTIs, too.
Pineapple contains an enzyme called Bromelain, which has anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce UTI symptoms. Along with the pineapple, also take the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor to quickly get rid of this kind of infection.
Eating a cup of pineapple on a regular basis can help prevent UTIs. You can also make juice from half a pineapple and drink it. It is best to use fresh pineapple because the canned version may contain preservatives.
8. Uva Ursi
Uva ursi is an herb that contains a number of substances that help fight infections, including UTIs. The herb contains several chemicals with antiseptic properties.
The herb is easily available at drugstores in supplement forms. When this supplement is taken, the antiseptic quality of this herb kills the bacteria and also gently stimulates urination. NOTE: People with kidney or liver disease, pregnant or nursing women, and children should not take uva ursi.
9. Hot Water Compresses
Regular use of hot water compresses will help minimize bladder pressure and give you relief from pain caused by the infection. A hot compress also will decrease the inflammation and help prevent growth of the bacteria that causes the infection.
- Put some hot water in a flexible water bottle. Place the hot water bottle on your lower abdomen for a few minutes.
- You can also place a heating pad on the lower abdominal area to get relief from the pain.
Drink plenty of water when suffering from a urinary tract infection. Try to drink at least eight to 10 glasses of water daily. By drinking more water, you will urinate more often, which is essential for dealing with this kind of infection.
Also, your urine will become less concentrated and the infection-causing bacteria will be flushed out of your system, helping you recover faster. Along with water, you can drink fruit and vegetable juices to provide your body with the vitamins and minerals it requires to fight off the infection.
These home remedies are effective in dealing with urinary tract infections. But you should consult a doctor if you have symptoms like blood in the urine, vomiting or high fever.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- 5 Proven Tips To Prevent Your Lips From Darkening - August 2016
- Try the Cucumber Diet and Lose 7kg in 14 Days - August 2016
- You Have Lost Part of Your Hair? Here is How to Grow Out Your Hair Faster - August 2016