Open or large pores on the skin are a beauty concern for many and can also contribute to problems like acne and blackheads, especially for people with oily skin.
Excess sebum, along with dirt and bacteria, tends to clog the pores. To make matters worse, blackheads tend to make pores more visible and look even larger.
Prolonged sun exposure can contribute to open pores because it damages the collagen, thereby reducing the elasticity of the walls of the pore canals.
Similarly, open pores worsen with increasing age as the skin loses elasticity. Genetics, stress, and a poor skin care routine also contribute to open pores.
Though there are several cosmetic products in the market to deal with this problem, remember that pores are a natural part of your skin and cannot be completely eliminated. Before you go shopping, you can try some inexpensive, easy and natural home remedies to minimize the appearance of open pores.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for open pores.
Ice works as a simple and effective home remedy to help shrink large pores due to its skin tightening effect. It is often used to minimize enlarged pores before applying makeup. It will also stimulate circulation and promote healthier skin.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and hold it on your skin for 15 to 30 seconds. Do this a few times daily. You can reduce the frequency of use when you see improvement.
- Alternatively, you can simply wash your face with ice cold water once daily.
To enhance the benefits of this remedy, infuse the water for ice cubes with cucumber juice, apple juice, green tea or rose water.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works as a natural astringent and skin toner. Thus, it tightens your skin, reduces large pores, and restores the skin’s pH balance. Plus, it has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat acne breakouts.
- Mix equal amounts of organic apple cider vinegar and water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to your face.
- Leave it on for a few minutes, and then rinse it off.
- For best results, use this remedy every night after cleansing your face. Follow up with a light moisturizer. You will notice improvement within a few weeks.
3. Egg Whites
Egg whites are also widely used to shrink enlarged pores because they tone and tighten the skin. Egg white masks are also great for drawing excess oil out of greasy skin.
- Simply whisk an egg white and spread it evenly on your face. Allow it to dry completely, and then rinse it off. For better results, after applying the egg white, cover your skin with pieces of tissue paper and peel them off when the mixture dries. Do this once or twice a week on a regular basis.
- Alternatively, whip two egg whites along with the juice squeezed from half of a lemon. Spread it on your face, and leave it on for about 10 minutes or until it dries completely. Rinse it off with cool water. Repeat a few times a week for one month.
- Another option is to whisk an egg white and mix in two tablespoons each of lemon juice and oatmeal. Spread it on your face and allow it to dry for 30 minutes. Finally, scrub it off and wash your face with cool water. For best results, repeat twice weekly for several weeks.
4. Sugar Scrub
Homemade sugar scrubs can be of great help in reducing large pores as they exfoliate the skin and remove excess oil and impurities.
- Mix two tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon of olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Gently rub it on your skin for 20 to 30 seconds, and then wash it off with cool water. Use it regularly, once or twice a week.
- Put a little sugar on a lemon wedge or slice and gently rub it all over your face. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then wash your face. Do this two times a week at least for a few weeks.
- You can also apply a combination of equal parts of honey and lemon juice and a little sugar. Massage your skin with it, and leave it on for five to 10 minutes before rinsing it off. Repeat once or twice a week for a month, or until you achieve the desired results.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda works as a gentle exfoliating agent, removing excess oil, dirt and debris from your skin. It also helps balance the pH levels of the skin and reduces problems like acne and pimples due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix two tablespoons each of baking soda and lukewarm water.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and massage in circular motion for a few seconds.
- Finally, rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat the process daily for five to seven days. Then reduce the frequency to three to five times a week for a few weeks.
6. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth, also known as multani mitti, is another useful natural remedy for open pores as it absorbs excess oil and exfoliates the skin. In addition, it helps reduce scars and blemishes and benefits sun-damaged skin.
7. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains citric acid that exfoliates your skin and minimizes the appearance of open pores. It will also help improve your complexion and remove dark spots due to its bleaching effect.
- Mix one teaspoon of organic honey in the juice squeezed from one lemon. Apply it on your skin, and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Do this daily at least for a month.
- Alternatively, apply a mixture of two tablespoons each of lemon juice and tomato juice. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat daily or three or four times a week for at least one month to see encouraging results.
- You can also apply a combination of one teaspoon each of lemon juice and cinnamon powder for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat daily for at least a month.
Cucumber works as a natural astringent to help shrink open pores. Plus, it will improve your skin texture and add a fresh glow.
- Grate one fresh cucumber and extract its juice. Soak a cotton ball in it and apply the juice on your skin. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water.
- You can also add a little rose water or lemon juice to the cucumber juice. Apply it on your skin, and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water.
You can use either of these remedies daily for about a month or until you notice improvement.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that eliminates excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells, thereby minimizing the appearance of open pores. It will also reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Apply a thin layer of plain yogurt on your face. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off. Repeat daily or three or four times a week for at least one month.
- Add one tablespoon of gram flour (besan) to two tablespoons of plain yogurt. Apply this paste on your face. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Finally, wash it off with cool water. Do this two times a week for about a month. Gram flour is also considered beneficial for getting rid of unwanted hair.
- Those with excessively oily and acne-prone skin can apply a mixture of one teaspoon of yogurt, two aspirin tablets (crushed to a fine powder) and one egg white (thoroughly whisked). Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat once or twice a week. You will notice improvement after just a few uses.
Oatmeal is great for exfoliating the skin and hence removing excess oil and dead skin cells that make open pores appear larger. Another advantage of oatmeal is that it soothes the skin and can be used for sensitive skin as well.
- Mix together five tablespoons of honey, two tablespoons of milk powder and two tablespoons of oatmeal.
- Slather this mixture on your face and gently rub it in circular motions.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes or until it dries completely.
- Scrub it off and wash your face with cool water.
- Repeat once or twice a week on a regular basis.
In addition to these remedies, take proper care of your skin, protect your skin from sun damage and exfoliate once or twice a week to remove excess oil, dirt, and dead skin cells.
You can also do a facial steam once a week to unclog the pores. Plus, opt for noncomedogenic cosmetic products and avoid oil-based skin care products. Needless to say, clean all makeup from your face at night before going for your beauty sleep.