Whenever you’re child or anyone in your family get a head lice then you all family member has to suffer from it if it is not recognized earlier as they will get into everything and literally take over. Coconut oil is one of the natural and effective treatment that doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals onto your head. It makes you hair to grow healthy, beautifully without any infections on it.
Coconut oil is defined as fatty oil or semisolid fat extracted from the fresh coconuts and used especially in making soaps and food products. It has various applications in the food, medicine and industry because of its high saturated fat content it is slow to oxidize and thus resistant to rancidification lasting up to 2 years without spoiling. It has effectively used for treating head lice. Head lice are that infest the scalp and hair of the human head.
Does Coconut Oil help to treat Head Lice?
Coconut oil treats head lice with its natural properties. Let’s see these how it helps to treat head lice.
- The fatty content of the coconut oil persists on the hair and lice subsequent to washing. It suffocates the lice and makes it harder for them to maintain the grip on the hair to stay there.
- Coconut oil has lubricating nature that helps to stop the lice to move freely and also prevent it from multiplying why because its oily nature does not allow the little creatures to easily attach their eggs or nits to the hair and also the lice will not be in a position to get the blood meal it needs for its survival.
- Coconut oil helps in controlling infestations of head lice as it is a effective repellent against lice to prevent infestation or re-infestation.
How to treat Head Lice with Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil can be used in many ways but here are some of the popular methods are given below.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take sufficient amount of apple cider vinegar (a bottle of ACV) that is required to rinse your hair
- But make sure that you don’t wash it out and allow it to dry completely
- Here, vinegar dissolves the glue which sticks the eggs to your hair follicles
- After vinegar has dried completely, you have to apply coconut oil (a jar of coconut oil) to your hair
- Apply coconut oil thoroughly as it has to cover the entire area of your hair and scalp.
- Then cover your hair with a shower cap or hair wrap or towel and leave it on for the whole day.
- As it takes few hours for the coconut oil, to get into the action of smoothing and killing the lice completely
- Now comb your hair to get rid of as many as lice and its eggs out of your hair
- After the combing process has been completed, then shampoo you’re hair as normal
- You have to do this process only for once and you will definitely get better results in removing head lice and having beautiful and shiny hair.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Garlic)
- Take 8 – 10 cloves of garlic and grind them into paste. Garlic has antiseptic properties and has strong fragrance which makes the lice to suffocate and kills them.
- To the garlic paste, add 2 – 3 teaspoons of coconut oil and mix it well
- Apply this mixture thoroughly on your hair and scalp without leaving any part of your hair.
- Let it sit on for about 30 minutes and wash your hair completely with hot water
- Continue doing this regularly to get rid of head lice.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Lemon, Garlic and Green Tea)
- Take few drops of fresh garlic juice, coconut oil, lemon extract and green tea
- Mix all the ingredients and make it like a fine solution
- Then coat your hair thoroughly with this solution
- Cover your scalp and hair with either shower cap or a towel
- Let it sit for about half an hour and then rinse it off with your regular shampoo.
- Continue doing this process for at least 2 months on weekly basis for better results.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil)
- Take 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1 oz of natural shampoo and a teaspoon of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has natural insecticide property that kills the head lice.
- Mix all the above ingredients to make a fine solution.
- Apply this solution gently all over your hair and scalp.
- Cover your hair with either a towel or plastic shower cap
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes without disturbing it
- Wash it off with warm water
- Finally, comb your hair when it is still wet to remove the dead lice.
- Repeat the process regularly to get relief from the head lice.
Method – 5: (Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil Shampoo)
- Take coconut oil and apply it all over your hair
- Cover your hair with shower cap and leave it on for few minutes
- Ran hot blow dryer over shower cap for few minutes as lice don’t like the heat and they will start suffocating it
- Allow it to sit for couple hours with that shower cap on your hair
- Finally wash it off with tea tree oil shampoo to get rid of the head lice.
- Repeat the same process regularly for better results against head lice.
Method – 6: (Coconut Oil)
- Take a little amount of coconut oil and massage it on your scalp and hair
- Take a louse detection comb and pull the comb from the scalp to the ends of the hair.
- Remove the lice in the comb and continue to comb you’re hair at least twice.
- Then rinse your hair with shampoo but make sure to massage thoroughly behind the ears and back of the neck where the lice are most often found.
- Dry your hair and apply the coconut oil and massage it deep into your hair
- Leave it for overnight or for about 8 – 10 hours and mean while apply the oil to keep your scalp moist.
- If applied at night time, wear shower cap or cover your pillow with a towel
- Comb your hair thoroughly again to remove the remaining lice
- Wash your hair with shampoo and repeat the same process for once or twice a week to prevent head lice.
Method – 7: (Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil)
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix it with 3 – 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Saturate it completely on your hair and scalp.
- Cover your treated hair securely with plastic bag for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Warm your hair either by sitting in the sunlight or use a hair dryer until the bag feels warm to touch.
- Then remove the shower cap and apply 6 oz of shampoo directly onto your hair without wetting it first.
- Massage your hair very well and again cover your hair and scalp with shower cap
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes while the oil begins to break down.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly and comb it to remove the tangles by beginning at the nape of the neck and working over the entire area of the scalp, use lice – removal comb to remove the nits.
- Make sure to wash the comb and wipe it with a clean tissue after completion of each section.
- After combing, rinse your hair again to remove the remaining oil and continue doing the same process to clear the head lice.
Method – 8: (Coconut Oil with Oil of Oregano)
- Take coconut oil and oregano oil in the ratio 5:1 i.e. mix 1 part of oregano oil with 5 parts of coconut oil
- Mix it well but make sure that it has to be diluted properly with coconut oil
- Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for few hours
- Comb your hair and wash it off with water and shampoo.
- Process has to be repeated regularly to get rid of the head lice.
Method – 9: (Coconut Conditioner with Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take coconut conditioner and apple cider vinegar in 3:1 ratio i.e. 3 parts of coconut conditioner mixed with 1 part of ACV.
- Mix it well and massage it on your hair and scalp
- Let it sit for few minutes and then comb through all the hair until the tangle-free with the help of nit comb.
- Here, the ACV loosens the nits and conditioner helps to clear your scalp so they come off with that comb.
- Repeat the process twice a week to get rid of the head lice.
- Coconut oil not only helps to get rid of the head lice but also rids your scalp of dandruff and makes your hair smooth and shiny.
- Always use organic virgin coconut oil that is pure white in color and also smells of coconut.
Coconut oil can be one of the most cost efficient, natural and effective approach for treating head lice without products at home. Not only using coconut oil will helps to kill the lice you have to clean your hair regularly and avoid close contact with head lice affected person.
This is all about coconut oil for head lice. Do you know any other coconut oil remedy for head lice? Then share your experience with us.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- 5 Proven Tips To Prevent Your Lips From Darkening - August 2016
- Try the Cucumber Diet and Lose 7kg in 14 Days - August 2016
- You Have Lost Part of Your Hair? Here is How to Grow Out Your Hair Faster - August 2016