Fresh egg is considered to be a very important ingredient when you are baking something scrumptious and savory on special occasions for your family. But what is the worst thing that could happen to you while preparing your delicious meal? Finding out that the egg you just added-in is not fresh rather it is a bad egg and now you have to discard all the material, you have been working on so diligently – that’s not only annoying but equally awful as well as it leads to wastage of time, material and money.
But do you know this situation can be keep from happening if you could determine the freshness of eggs before adding them into the material. Yes this could be done very easily at home as there are various methods available to test the freshness of an egg.
Now without wasting any time, let’s move to the next section where different measures are listed to check whether an egg is good to consume or not.
Water and bowl test for freshness
Follow the below mentioned instruction to pull of this test:
- Get a bowl which should be deep enough to contain water twice the size of an egg so it could be soaked completely into it
- Carefully put and lower egg into the bowl
Now there are 4 possibilities which can happen:
- If an egg immediately sinks to the bottom and lies flat on the side of it then this means that the air cell within the egg is very small; hence it is fresh and perfectly fine to use.
- If an egg is slightly older than it will lie on the bottom of bowl but in a different angle. Moreover it will also bob-up and down rather than being still
- If the egg begins to float and stand upright in a way where smaller end will look at the bottom of bowl whilst broader end looks upward towards the surface then you could say this egg is still good to consume; however, it is about 3 weeks old now and due to the entrance of more air in the egg shell, it has started to lose its freshness
- When you see that the egg you put into the bowl has begun to float on the surface and it does not touch the bottom of that bowl then it can be concluded that, it is a bad egg and should be discarded at once. Bad eggs tend to give pungent smell and they are also very light weighted
Why this test works?
This test works because eggshells are very porous and when more air enters the shell then its life begins to diminish. The more air enters the egg the more less-favorable-to-eat it becomes.
Cracked egg and plate test
To do this test, you would have to break the egg into a flat plate or flat surface instead of soaking or breaking it into a deep bowl. If the egg is fresh then:
- Yolk of the egg would have round and compact appearance while it will also be in still position. Moreover, the white of the egg which is also known as albumen will be thick and it would also stay closer to the yolk
- If the albumen has cloudy coloring then it means the egg is extra fresh as this cloudiness indicates the presence of carbon dioxide in it. However, the egg white tends to become more transparent with time due to the dispelling of carbon dioxide
- If you see the yolk is flatter which could be broken easily and which also has thinner white, spreading quite easily far over the plate then this means, it is a less fresh egg
- Lastly, bad egg would have a flat yolk and its albumen will be runny just like water. if this is the case then egg should be discarded and not to be consumed
Another test to check the freshness of an egg is through slushiness. Now what you need to do to conduct this test?
- Pick up an egg and bring it close to your ear
- Shake the egg
- Now determine what kind of sounds you hear when shaken? If the sound is sloshy then it is a bad egg, you can discard it else if the sound is not sloshy then you can consume it
It is that simple!
Blood Spots in egg
At times what happens, when you break an egg then you realize there are some reddish brownish spots in it which are also known as blood or meat spots. People often tend to avoid eating such kind of eggs but to break the ice, let me tell you that such eggs are safe to eat as these eggs show the particular freshness of them as the redness fades with age. Moreover, these tiny spots only represent blood vessels which have been ruptured when egg formed.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- 5 Proven Tips To Prevent Your Lips From Darkening - August 2016
- Try the Cucumber Diet and Lose 7kg in 14 Days - August 2016
- You Have Lost Part of Your Hair? Here is How to Grow Out Your Hair Faster - August 2016